As we get ready for winter, there are many things to do in the yard as well as in the house. One of the important tasks that is often overlooked is replacing the furnace filter. The main purpose of a furnace filter is to protect the blower fan and equipment from all the dust, hair and other gunk the return duct pulls in.
Why is it so important? Here are five benefits of regularly replacing your air filter:
- Extend the life of your forced air system – a big investment was made when you purchased your HVAC equipment. One of the main reasons a HVAC systems fails is because the furnace filter gets plugged up with debris and particulate matter . As dirt accumulates, air can’t pass through the system and the unit overheats. The motor then has to work harder. In a best-case scenario, your HVAC unit will need to be repaired. In the worst case, if your unit is older, not replacing filters could put it over the edge and require you to buy a new one. Replacing the filter is an easy way to lengthen the life of your heating system.
- Keeping energy costs under control – lets face it, getting your utility bill is not the highlight of your month. When that air filter is plugged ,little air passes through the filter which makes the HVAC system work harder, more energy is being used. And when it requires more energy to make your heating and air conditioning system work, it causes your energy bill to escalate .
- Maintaining healthy air quality in your home – This is particularly important if anyone in your family suffers from allergies or asthma. Dirty air filters worsen the air quality and can worsen symptoms. Replacing your furnace filter is an easy way to help improve the indoor air quality in the home .
- Keeping your HVAC system clean – Dirty filters in the furnace can lead to dirt build up on fan which reduces air flow. It can also contribute to the AC coils in the furnace to become plugged up. When this happens the air flow is greatly restricted.
- A peace of mind – Replacing your furnace filter is an easy, inexpensive step to take to save money, extend the life of your HVAC equipment and improve your IAQ in your home or business. It also decreases the amount of your energy consumption .